Why MOST Diets Fail.
Nerissa Shea @nerissa_sheafitness
Photo from Everyday Health
The BIGGEST barrier to WEIGHT LOSS?
Originally the word ‘diet’ meant a way of life, these days, however, diet means a period of time where you over restrict yourself in a type &/or amount of food.
Successful ‘dieters’ will –
1. Avoid dichotomous thinking.
aka – black or white thinking. i.e. – food being ‘good’ or ‘bad’.
2. Avoid eating to regulate mood.
3. Have a more positive body image.
4. Have less frequent disinhibited eating.
Disinhibited eating is used as an umbrella term to encompass behaviors that involve a lack of healthy restraint over food intake, including binge eating and loss of control eating, emotional eating, and eating in the absence of hunger.
5. PERCEIVE THE BENEFITS OUTWEIGH THE COSTS.
They have a strong WHY & ultimately understand the benefits associated with why they are doing what they are doing.
Successful ‘dieters’ DO:
1. Be physically active.
2. Resistance train.
3. Have low food variety.
4. Eat fewer takeaways.
5. Be consistent throughout the week.
6. Eat high-volume foods.
7. Weigh themselves regularly
However, this is only suggested if one’s mood and self-worth are not associated with the said number on the scales.